Laughing Gull Twitch (and reminder on road closures)

Many thanks to Paul Quinn for his story about twitching the Laughing Gull in Ballycastle last night. It was a lifer for Paul so well done!!
Also a reminder that the Armoy Road Races are Friday and Saturday so the roads around Armoy will be closed. Diversions will be in operation but expect delays if you are going to Ballycastle to look for the Gull.


I got to Ballycastle at 7.20pm last night. A family was sitting at the slipway eating chips and a group of 10+ gulls was there. I got the Laughing Gull straight away. The family moved off and I started throwing bread around. The gull hung around and fed with the other Black Headed gulls.

I got great views sometimes as close as 3m. The gull was darker overall than the others. I was surprised at how dark the primaries were ( the photos on the web reflected this). The bill also was noticeably longer. Not a pretty bird, though, and not too forward compared to the others. It preferred the wall beside the Marconi Memorial and returned there after 5 mins, sitting in a row with other gulls. I went for a walk but I couldn't see the bird when I returned. It may have gone to the rock armour, there were about 50 gulls there. All the gulls seemed settled (and stuffed?) at that point, so I left.
Paul Quinn